Re: Benefits of Lubuntu being official

On 05/05/2011 04:11 PM, Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset wrote:

> This could also mean that the support for i586 could exist again?
> This should maybe notted somewhere for the goals for when Lubuntu
> become an official derivative :)

That would be a hard thing to achieve at this point, I think.  Ubuntu as
a whole has made a definite decision not to support that class of CPU,
and the Ubuntu build infrastructure has now been set up not to do that
any more.  Changing it back to support i586 would be a fairly big deal,
I suspect.

If this is something you are seriously interested in, perhaps you can
collect names of a few thousand people who would use (L)Ubuntu if only
it ran on their i586-class CPUs?  With that sort of clear evidence of
need, it might be easier to persuade the Ubuntu community as a whole to
reconsider supporting it.

Jonathan