Re: amd64 build of Lubuntu.

Kendall,

Thanks for doing this, as you will see from your web server log, an
amd64 Lubuntu is something quote a few people are interested in :)

On 05/11/2011 03:33 PM, Kendall Weaver wrote:

> Yeah, as with all things of this nature it needs to be run through
> the gauntlet a time or two before any decisions about distribution
> are made. If there are issues that I missed, then I need to get them
> situated before this is released to the public.

I know this suggestion is arriving a bit late, but next time, please
don't label your unofficial image:

#define DISKNAME  Lubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release amd64

since it is not an official Lubuntu 11.04 image!  Preferably, don't name
the resulting .iso file something that looks to casual observers as
though it is an official ISO, either :)

Putting your name or initials somewhere in that DISKNAME string, and in
the ISO filename, would really have helped in this regard.  Perhaps also
in the -p and -A options to mkisofs?  Even in modified boot menus.

Our current build script automatically puts the name and email address
of whoever builds the ISO into the image, so we can tell who created any
give ISO the script creates (well, unless someone deliberately fakes it,
by setting the relevant environment variables, I suppose!).

FWIW, I may take your image and see if I can use parts of it to figure
out exactly what needs changing in our current Lubuntu build script, so
it can (at last!) build (working) amd64 ISO images...

However, we are (after some productive UDS sessions!) very close to (a
few weeks away from) to being able to use the same ISO build
infrastructure that the other Ubuntu's use, which will make such work
totally unnecessary... that's slightly demotivating to me regarding
spending time on our current ISO build script -- its life is coming to
an end :)

Just my opinion: I think Lubuntu ISO images that require hand-building
are probably not a wise move for anything long term or even
semi-official; starting down that path usually wastes scarce volunteer
techie time, IMO.  Computers are good at repetitive tasks... so let's
automate them when possible, and let the computers do them, freeing us
humans for the creative stuff that computers are bad at!

Jonathan