Re: Creating An Accessibility Specification for Lubuntu 11.10

On 05/29/2011 12:03 PM, Alan Bell wrote:

>> How about sharing Ubuntu's current official accessibility roadmap with
>> the Lubuntu developers, as a start?  ...

> not a roadmap as such, but I have started drafting a document on the
> Ubuntu infrastructure for accessibility
> http://pad.ubuntu.com/AccessibilityInfrastructure

Does this mean that, in reality, there is no accessiblity roadmap, for
any Ubuntu variant?

Thanks.  I made a few minor edits.  A wiki would be better so there is a
clear history of who edited what when, etc.

> This will get transferred to the wiki at some point when it is nearly
> complete and the most glaring errors have been fixed.

I'd suggest just putting what you have into a wiki page, now, so that
history will be maintained as the document is changed.

What this lacks at this point is any sense of priorities -- *this* is
more important to do first, *that* can wait, etc., or any sense of "to
make a Qt app more easily accessible, to *this*; to make a GTK app more
accessible, do *that*; to create an accessible installer, do *this other
thing*".  So it is currently useful as background info, but not in
suggesting "what to do next".

Also, links to the various things (software, APIs, etc.) that it
mentions would be a great addition.

> I don't know much about Lubuntu, only that it is based on something
> called LXDE as a window manager and is targeted at really old
> computers.

Well, or some people just like a leaner faster desktop environment.  I'm
surprised to see how many Lubuntu users actually choose use it on
hardware that would support Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

> Looking at lubuntu.net it seems to be based on GTK, so I imagine just
> installing gnome-orca will pull in speech dispatcher at-spi2 and espeak,
> install onboard and you have an on-screen keyboard too. Does it use
> ubiquity for the installer?

Yes, but alternative installer(s) are something we want to see as we
move to using real Ubuntu ISO build infrastructure.

Jonathan