Re: Creating An Accessibility Specification for Lubuntu 11.10

On 05/30/2011 12:19 AM, Chris wrote:

> What I think is going wrong is difference in jargon. When the Lubuntu
> devs/people asked for a roadmap is what the Accessibility people
> would see as an priority list. When the Lubuntu people have their
> priority list, then they can create their own roadmap.

That sounds fine to me :)

My current background assumption is that Lubuntu is "late to the
accessibility party", just as it is late to "officialness", and that the
other (already official) Ubuntu variants are, therefore, already
substantially further along this particular path than we currently are
in Lubuntu.

So that we can better discover what needs to be done within Lubuntu, and
in what order, I would like to know, with some reasonable degree of
clarity and specificity:

 (A) What are the expectations of those seeking "adding accessibility"
to Lubuntu, and what is the relative priority of each such expectation?

 (B) How do these expectations compare to what is already implemented in
each of the other Ubuntu variants, and in Debian?

 (C) How do these expectations compare to what each of the other Ubuntu
variants plans to do in the current (Oneiric) development cycle?

Links to current information on what Debian and each Ubuntu variant has
done, and plans to do, in this regard would therefore be useful.

Lower priority, but still very useful, would be to also know:

 (D) How can we know when we have "got there" -- how can we verify that
Lubuntu (or LXDE, or an application within Lubuntu) has attained a
particular desired level or standard of accessibility?  (I'm aware of
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ for web site accessibility -- what are the
application or OS or DE equivalents used in the Debian/Ubuntu community?).

At this point, I *really* don't mind what anyone calls this
documentation (specifications, blueprints, roadmaps, priority lists,
other?).  I also do not mind who created it (the Ubuntu accessibility
team, or development teams within each Ubuntu variant, or even sabdfl
himself!).  My immediate concern is to determine whether such current
documentation actually exists at all, and if it does, preferably some
idea of its current level of acceptance or "officialness" (because great
documentation that everyone else is ignoring may be less helpful than
mediocre documentation that everyone else has already agreed to follow
and implement!).

And, very fundamentally: if this documentation does exist, where can we
read it?  Everything I have found so far seems either not actually a
priority list/roadmap, not really Ubuntu-specific, or old and out of
date.  So perhaps my Google skills are lacking in this (accessibility)
domain, and I need a little more help finding the real thing.

If these requests and questions are unreasonable, or expose a total
misunderstanding of the situation on my part, so be it, please enlighten
me further :)

Perhaps the most useful thing I have found so far is
http://developer.gnome.org/accessibility-devel-guide/3.0/accessibility-devel-guide.html
-- which is GNOME documentation, not Debian or Ubuntu documentation, and
Lubuntu does not use GNOME.

If, in the end, all of this boils down to "as a first major useful step,
please just add orca and espeak and their dependencies to the Lubuntu
CD"... that would be good to know :)

Jonathan