Re: Call for review: PCManFM is almost ready for a new release.

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Julien Lavergne <gilir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le Sunday 12 June 2011 à 01:21 +0800, PCMan a écrit :
>>
>> A new release as 0.9.9 is required. Please help review and test the code in git.
>> Thanks a lot.
>
> Thanks PCMan. So far, It's working nice on L/Ubuntu 10.10.
>
> Some comments :
> - Please bump the soname of your library each time you change your API.
> Distributions can do smooth transitions between versions of
> libfm/pcmanfm. Also, if you expect other applications to use libfm, you
> need to use the soname.
I want to do this for stable tarball releases only. In current stage
of development, change of API/ABIs can be frequent.
> - Is it possible to force a reload when you do any operations on a
> remote place ? When I create a file on my sftp place, I expect that it
> appears on pcmanfm after the creation. Monitoring is not needed, but any
> user interactions should affect what pcmanfm shows.
PCManFM should show the created files even on remote filesystems right
after you create them. Otherwise it's a bug.
> -  I'm not sure having the tabs above the sidebar is good. I personally
> prefer to have them just above the main window, like Nautilus do. But
> maybe other people like this behavior ?
Firefox + IE + Opera all does this. So does old PCManFM 0.5 series.
In addition, design like nautilus greatly limited the usability of
tabs since you can only have very few tabs due to limited space.
> - Don't hesitate to do releases often, it's better for distributions :)
> Even if bugs are discovered shortly after the release, you can still do
> a quick X.X.1 release to fix this.
Given the program is now used by so many users, it's better to have
releases with better quality.