Problem with Wine

I installed Wine in the hope of gettings iTunes to work.  I never got
that far.  After installing Wine, I lost my application launcher icon,
all of the icons on my panel and all of the notifications on my panel.
My machine now also crashes when I try to change the desktop background.
I have tried to reboot from CDs and a USB to do a new installation of
Lubuntu (and quite a few other Linux distributions).  With CDs, I get an
error message saying that a connection couldn't be made.  With the USB,
I get an error message about a path.  I find it hard to believe that
this is a hardware problem, since the CD reads music disks just fine and
the USB ports mount my Android phone.  I've checked the BIOS settings,
and I've changed the installed hard drive to DEAD LAST, and I still
can't get this machine to boot from a CD or a USB.  I've uninstalled
Wine, and the problems remain.  I don't know that much about Linux or
Wine, but I do know that the problems started when I installed Wine.
Could there be some files or packages that the uninstall missed?  How do
I get rid of them?  This is not my primary machine, so is there a way I
can get it to boot from a CD or a USB and just reinstall the OS?
--
This message was sent from Launchpad by
John Eischeid (https://launchpad.net/~jteischeid)