Re: Problem with Wine

----- Ursprüngliche Mitteilung -----
> I installed Wine in the hope of gettings iTunes to work.   I never got
> that far.   After installing Wine, I lost my application launcher icon,
> all of the icons on my panel and all of the notifications on my panel.
> My machine now also crashes when I try to change the desktop background.
> I have tried to reboot from CDs and a USB to do a new installation of
> Lubuntu (and quite a few other Linux distributions).   With CDs, I get an
> error message saying that a connection couldn't be made.   With the USB,
> I get an error message about a path.   I find it hard to believe that
> this is a hardware problem, since the CD reads music disks just fine and
> the USB ports mount my Android phone.   I've checked the BIOS settings,
> and I've changed the installed hard drive to DEAD LAST, and I still
> can't get this machine to boot from a CD or a USB.   I've uninstalled
> Wine, and the problems remain.   I don't know that much about Linux or
> Wine, but I do know that the problems started when I installed Wine.
> Could there be some files or packages that the uninstall missed?   How do
> I get rid of them?   This is not my primary machine, so is there a way I
> can get it to boot from a CD or a USB and just reinstall the OS?

This sounds to me like an error on your hard disk after your installed wine.
The second problem with not booting cd and usb needs further investigations. Please try to delete "quiet splash" from the boot options of the live media. (i think you need to press F6 to see the boot options). If the computer does not even allow you to get to the boot screen and it worked before (you somehow managed to install lubuntu before) there might be a serious hardware issue with your computer. On a desktop pc I would check all connection cables inside the case from usb and cdrom to motherboard and vice versa.
Good luck on solving the issue.