Re: Summarize of proposed changes on applications by default

+1
Coundn´t be more agree.

El , Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:
On 06/16/2011 03:31 PM, Julien Lavergne wrote:

> 1) Display manager : Lightdm vs LXDM

> 2) Dropping Xchat

> 3) Text editor : Gedit vs Leafpad

> Are people who want to discuss this are available for a meeting this

> week-end ? If not, we can proceed by mail on the mailing list.

I'm available online for a meeting in the next ten hours or so; I'm

mostly unavailable on Sundays. Please would someone let me known in

#lubuntu-offtopic if a meeting starts happens in the next few hours :)

I'd suggest just leaving all three of these alone this cycle, but I am

not going to spend a lot of energy fighting changes if the majority feel

otherwise.

A quick summary of my reasoning:

(1) LXDM works, and we have close control over its upstream; I think

lightdm is new and we can let others work out its early bugs (if any :)

before adopting it for Lubuntu. Leave it alone, reconsider in the next

cycle, would be my suggestion.

(2) Xchat seems to have some folks who really like it being there by

default, and who use it, and others who don't care about it and so want

it dropped. Let's leave it alone, unless we *really* need that space on

the CD.

(3) Gedit: Serious programmers are going to install and use their

favourite text editor anyway (which is probably not gedit *or*

leafpad!), and I suspect most other "normal" users don't care that much

what text editor is included, as long as it works. So leave it alone

would be my suggestion.

Jonathan