Re: Resources on 11.04

Le Tuesday 21 June 2011 à 12:01 -0400, Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset a
écrit :
> Recently installed 11.04 and i'm surprised by the RAM and CPU%
> consumed by Lubuntu in this release (I was keeping my main machine
> with 10.04 but decided to change to be able to help a little more).
> Back in 10.04 my ram consumption was below 75MB... now the system
> starts above 100MB / the CPU was always below 10%... now is almost all
> the time at 30%. Everything is faster, scrolls are better, the theme
> renders nicely (thanks Rafael), pcmanfm work very well... but as far
> as i understand, if lubuntu is a distro intended for low spec hardware
> (and for old machines) normally the ram consumption should be
> decreasing over the releases... not the opposite.

Since 10.04, we add more features, and it probably takes more ressources
than expected. For example, we "lost" 10 Mb of RAM for update-notifier,
which warn about crashes and updates. We try to minimize this impact,
but sometimes we can't avoid this.

About CPU usage, there is a bug in the theme, which cause more CPU usage
than expected (see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lubuntu-artwork/+bug/776776)
You can try to use the LXDesign theme in the meantime, the CPU usage
should go back to the normal.