Re: lubuntu-{desktop, core} versus lxde-{common, core}

Le Saturday 02 July 2011 à 14:52 -0400, Todd Schulman a écrit :
> For starters, thank you to all who are involved in making lubuntu. It
> is a fine OS and deserves much praise. I have been trying to gain an
> understanding how lubuntu differentiates itself from lxde. Please
> correct me if I am wrong; this is an attempt to learn and gain
> clarification and most certainly is not coming from a critical
> standpoint. lxde is a desktop environment and has both -core and
> -common metapackages in ubuntu and debian, and releases an .iso based
> on debian. lubuntu also has both -core and -desktop metapackages in
> ubuntu. Is there anything that distinguishes lubuntu from lxde, other
> than community, branding and default package selection? If so, what?
> Integration? If I want a lightweight, standards-compliant system, am I
> better off installing the -core and adding apps I want? In other
> words, what is the value-added that lubuntu provides over vanilla
> lxde?

LXDE metapackages offer what upstream or Debian propose for settings,
artwork, and  applications.

Lubuntu have specific settings and artwork. We also proposed
applications we think are the best to have good experience when using
this distribution.

We also make choices, sometimes not the same that upstream. For example,
we don't use lxmusic for the music player.