Re: 700 mhz laptop with 256 ram running lubuntu

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 01:10:23 +0200
Julien Lavergne <gilir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le Monday 04 July 2011 à 18:48 -0400, Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset a
> écrit :
> > Question to the devs: do you think that maybe one day the
> > optimizations could make a nice and usable system (say "Lubuntu")
> > running with the requeriments that Win98 did? I'm talking about less
> > that 150Mhz and less than 50Mb Ram...
>
> For the 50 Mb of RAM, maybe not "out-of-the-box", but maybe in the
> futur, when it will be easier to disable more services, and with some
> optimizations. And of course, if nothing from the outside add more
> weight :) But for now, we are just trying to maintain the actual
> situation :)
>
> For the 150 MHz, difficult to say, it's really ... slow and old :) I had
> this type of computer when I was a kid :)

I only had a 1.25MHz CPU and 768 bytes of RAM in my computer as a kid. :)

I would say a 300MHz CPU and 128 KiB of RAM is a more realistic lower limit, i.e. machines from earlier this century.  For machines from the previous century I would suggest looking at TinyCore [1], or something like FreeDOS [2] and GEM [3].

[1] http://www.tinycorelinux.com
[2] http://www.freedos.org/
[3] http://www.deltasoft.com/

--