Mouse and Keyboard control problem

Hi,

Using Lubuntu 11.04 the scrolling when using my Synaptics keypad scroll
area on my laptop is too fast and jerky. I went into preferences >
keyboard and mouse.

I can not modify acceleration nor sensitivity. I move the slider and
when I go to click OK the window closes by itself suddenly before I can
hit OK, and any changes do not stick. I don't know if this is a bug or a
peculiarity with my laptop. In any event I'm sure there's a config file
somewhere where I can manually make these changes. Where would such a
file be located? Also is there a way I could activate changes without
having to reboot?

Thanks