Re: Thoughts from 8.10

2011/8/26 Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset <jpxsat@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi people.
> Has any one tried an old ubuntu lately? lets say for example 8.10? Its damn
> fast!

> I'm just saying: this old OS works very fast, and I really don't know why...
> but maybe the Lubuntu devs could have an explanation for it and maybe
> improve Lubuntu this way.

Agree, bloatkernel, bloatdrivers, bloatwares... this is what is
supposed to make linux more 'user-friendly', although being OS user I
don't find it quite friendly. On the other hand 8.10 won't fire up on
my laptop because of missing support for switchable graphics %)
Just thinking aloud - would it be wise to create an override apt
profile for lubuntu which will suppress all the 'recommended' and
'suggested' dependencies by default? After restricting
/gnome|kde|qt[2-4]/ in apt it is annoying to retype each time
'--no-install-recommends' after install aborts bcz of missing
dependencies.

--
Looking forward to reading yours.
     Ruslan N. Marchenko