Re: Thoughts from 8.10

----- Ursprüngliche Mitteilung -----
> 2011/8/26 Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset <jpxsat@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > Hi people.
> > Has any one tried an old ubuntu lately? lets say for example 8.10? Its
> > damn fast!
>
> > I'm just saying: this old OS works very fast, and I really don't know
> > why... but maybe the Lubuntu devs could have an explanation for it and
> > maybe improve Lubuntu this way.
> >

> Agree, bloatkernel, bloatdrivers, bloatwares... this is what is
> supposed to make linux more 'user-friendly', although being OS user I
> don't find it quite friendly. On the other hand 8.10 won't fire up on
> my laptop because of missing support for switchable graphics %)
> Just thinking aloud - would it be wise to create an override apt
> profile for lubuntu which will suppress all the 'recommended' and
> 'suggested' dependencies by default? After restricting
> /gnome|kde|qt[2-4]/ in apt it is annoying to retype each time
> '--no-install-recommends' after install aborts bcz of missing
> dependencies.

RTFM.  There is an apt/preferences flag for that.
Also this whole conversation is non sense. If you test out ubuntu 5.04 or even Debian 2.0 it would be lightning fast even with KDE.
But remember back then linux supported lesser hardware and was not intended to run on hardware that we normally have today (Dual/Quad-Cores). Also remember old Operating Systems might run fast but don't support modern technologies or hardware. Try to stick an USB Thumbdrive in a DOS machine.
Lubuntu takes a very far approach in supporting good old hardware which is about 15 years old whithout loosing modern technologies (3G, Wifi, Bluetooth, Powermanagement)
The the ones speaking of
"bloatkernel, bloatdrivers"
Have you ever looked at the Kernelcode or done tests on the Kernel ?
Lets take for example audio latency. For years you had to patch the kernel for realtime audio with jack and ardour.
Nowadays it isn't necessary for the amateur audio editor as the kernel even without the realtime patches is nearly as fast as with them.

The Kernel has become bigger but performance wise it is nearly as fast as it was before if not even a little faster.
All in all stop those non sense posting comparing an ancient Linux Distribution with a modern one.