Re: Use a database in lsc

On 09/05/2011 01:20 PM, Stefano wrote:
> i was thinking about the use of a database, re-builded every time the
> cache update or upgrade, this because parse the contents of a
> directory(/usr/share/app-install/desktop) is very slow, so we can build
> the database parsing the directory only the first time, then parse the
> database to get the packages faster. we can also add an option in the
> edit menu, to re-build the database, called "Force packages list
> upgrade" or something similar.
Ubuntu SC use a similar system. It uses a database to store the
informations (I think it's xapian which is used), and it's rebuild
automatically when a file is changes in /usr/share/app-install/desktop.
It's probably a better approach, but you should test the final behavior
(like the time to start, to rebuild the database ...).

Another solution is to use a cache of the /usr/share/app-install/desktop
content. Like the database usage, it's something you have to test to see
the result.