Re: Minimal Install issue in Wiki

On 28 December 2011 13:46, Hùng Trần <nguyentieuhau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just checked our Minimal Install guide
> at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/DocumentationHelp/MinimalInstall.
>
> I don't know why we use "sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends
> lubuntu-desktop" command to install Lubuntu. With "--no-install-recommends"
> we only have Lubuntu with PCManFM, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Synaptic, Update
> Manager and Preferred Applications.
>
> As I understand, Minimal Install is for people who want to get a full
> Lubuntu desktop by installing via a Ubuntu minimal CD or USB because they
> can't use Ubiquity.
> Using "--no-install-recommends" could make newbie confused when their
> desktops almost have nothing.
>
> Regards,
> TRẦN Duy Hùng
> http://www.nguyentieuhau.com/

My understanding is different although I don't know which of us is
correct. For mine if all you're trying to do is avoid Ubiquity then
why not just use the alternate installer? To me the minimal
installation is just that, the bare minimum. From what I understand
the minimum install is aimed at REALLY low end computers or people not
wanting to download lots of data over the internet. If you have a
really low end computer you only want the bare minimum, if you don't
want to download large ISOs why would you want to download all the
other stuff anyway?

I'm happy to be proved wrong but I just have a different understanding
and hoping to clear the issue for both our sakes.

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris