Re: Minimal Install issue in Wiki

Keeping low profile for some days is VERY boring but I won't overdo it so
one reply and I'm off :)

>From what I understand:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/alternative-download

If you read the above two links, you maybe a little bit confused and think
both are the same but in the matter of fact, these two installs are NOT the
same.

>From the first link:

The Minimal CD will download packages from online archives at installation
> time instead of providing them on the install CD itself. Downloading
> packages at install time reduces the size of the install CD to
> approximately 5 to 30MB depending on architecture (see below), as well as
> providing only the packages needed for installation. The download time
> savings achieved by using a Minimal CD can be significant, as only current
> packages are downloaded, so there is no need to upgrade packages
> immediately after installation. The Minimal CD uses a text-based installer
> like the Alternate CD, making the CD image as compact as possible.

>From the second link:

The text-based alternate installer can be downloaded from a location near
> you <http://www.ubuntu.com/start-download>. This installation CD is
> suited for computers unable to run the graphical desktop based
> installation, either because their computer does not meet the minimum
> requirements for the live cd or because their computer requires
> configuration after the installation is complete in order to use the
> desktop.

This link here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems
May give a better understanding.

>From what I understand, the mini install could be used not only for people
with low end hardware but also for those who seek simplicity and want to
build their system as per what they really need and avoid the extra stuff.
Once you have the base or the core system, you can install whatever you
want.

So, I'm with Jared and also happy to be proved wrong :)
If we are wrong, then the above two links MUST be updated and someone must
be more accurate.

By the way, last night, I was SO bored so I downloaded the mini iso and
installed it on one of my test PCs.  I managed to find a wired connection
(finally) because I always use the Wireless connection. I'm actually
planning to build a system that even lighter than Lubuntu (the one that we
all know). I'm planning to do some tests so later on I can install Lubuntu
instead of Linux Mint LXDE 9 on this:

By the way, YES, that laptop does work until now. At that time, Lubuntu
10.04 did not work at all and I had less experience than now. I do want to
install Lubuntu and will do whatever it takes to do that.

Thank you everyone :)
Now, logging off.

@Phill
Once I can resume my normal activities, I'm going to finish my test with
the mini install and if I managed to do what I want, I'll write a simple
guide and add it to Lubuntu One Stop Thread :) if there will be more
details then I'll write a new thread and then add it to LOST.

:)

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Jared Norris <jrnorris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 28 December 2011 13:46, Hùng Trần <nguyentieuhau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just checked our Minimal Install guide
> > at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/DocumentationHelp/MinimalInstall.
> >
> > I don't know why we use "sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends
> > lubuntu-desktop" command to install Lubuntu. With
> "--no-install-recommends"
> > we only have Lubuntu with PCManFM, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Synaptic, Update
> > Manager and Preferred Applications.
> >
> > As I understand, Minimal Install is for people who want to get a full
> > Lubuntu desktop by installing via a Ubuntu minimal CD or USB because they
> > can't use Ubiquity.
> > Using "--no-install-recommends" could make newbie confused when their
> > desktops almost have nothing.
> >
> > Regards,
> > TRẦN Duy Hùng
> > http://www.nguyentieuhau.com/

> My understanding is different although I don't know which of us is
> correct. For mine if all you're trying to do is avoid Ubiquity then
> why not just use the alternate installer? To me the minimal
> installation is just that, the bare minimum. From what I understand
> the minimum install is aimed at REALLY low end computers or people not
> wanting to download lots of data over the internet. If you have a
> really low end computer you only want the bare minimum, if you don't
> want to download large ISOs why would you want to download all the
> other stuff anyway?
>
> I'm happy to be proved wrong but I just have a different understanding
> and hoping to clear the issue for both our sakes.

> Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

Best Regards,

*amjjawad*
Lubuntu One Stop Thread (Mega
Thread)<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755>
My Wiki Page <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad> | My
Launchpad<https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad> |
My Ubuntu Forum Profile <http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822>

*My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words ||** ** I walk by faith, not by
sight **|| Imagination is more important than Knowledge || **Keep It Simple
and Short*