Re: LSC and Dependencies Talk

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM, amjjawad HOOHAA <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Before I reply to this post:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11613963&postcount=252
> I thought it's better to start such a discussion over here so that I
> understand better and we make it clear to everyone what is really going on.
>
> As far as I have learned so far and I could be wrong, the Dependencies
> Talk on a Low Resources System where usually Lubuntu is installed, is more
> about Space Issue than Loaded Files on RAM issue.
> I don't have a document or something that confirm that but I do know for
> sure that as long as nothing will be loaded in RAM, the performance won't
> be affected.
>
> I've come across MANY questions from users like: "This app has lots of
> dependencies, can I install it on Lubuntu? will that slow my system down??"
>
> For me, I can easily reply that post saying: "It's more about space issues
> than memory consuming issue + if you want, you can use the terminal for
> Synaptic."

This is not necessarily true. Almost always, we add dependencies because
the program needs them at "runtime".
Most of time, these deps, especially the libraries, will be loaded at
runtime as well.
The most important issue is how much RAM is needed by programs constantly
running throughout the whole desktop session.
(web browser, panel, file manager, desktop manager, session manager, other
dbus services...)