From: Nicholas Skaggs <nicholas.skaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Lubuntu-qa] Fwd: ISO Testing Screencast
To: lubuntu-qa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, August 3, 2012, 4:34 PM

On 08/03/2012 02:13 PM, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> On 08/03/2012 02:23 AM, Lance wrote:
>
>> Also, though VirtualBox is quite nice, using Qemu would allow testing of
>> the PPC architecture, too.
>> At some point Ubuntu, and thus Lubuntu, will probably offer ARM
>> officially, so we should try to be prepared.
> We already are :)  I'm one of the six or so people getting started with
> testing Ubuntu Quantal 12.10 desktop images for ARM :)
>
> I suspect the focus on virtualbox was because it is the easiest way for
> end users with one "normal" i386 or amd64 PC (not devoted 100% to
> testing) to get involved and test ISO images.  I agree that the idea of
> using "real" hardware is preferable should be stated, but it needs
> wording carefully so as not to put off those lacking spare hardware,
> we'd not want them to feel "second class testers" in any way.
>
> Jonathan

Yes, your points are all very well taken. I think some more advanced videos should show off stuff like you mentioned. I know Lars, Lance and Greg, et la, you all find some bugs others miss or overlook. Baby steps of course -- I want folks to be able to simply run through a simple testcase to get there feet wet. I know the team will bring them along the rest of the way ;-) Using virtualbox and testdrive, along with executing a basic test is about as simple as it gets. From there though the leap to testing exotic stuff or more difficulte testcases is actually straightforward I think.

I've noted the idea to show some testing of ARM or PPC etc on your pc, as well as showing off using a pandaboard, or real hardware, etc, etc. It looks like these videos are well received so I will try and do more. I may ping some of you for knowledge at some point on showing off how to do some advanced things properly. Thanks!

Ohh, Ron, btw, my version of testdrive does have lubuntu -- have a look again and see if your missing it in preferences. Check the box to turn on the tab.

Nicholas

Post to     : lubuntu-qa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx