Re: amd64+mac issues

1st post.  Hi everyone!

I don't have a mac, but am running a hackintosh.  I've also been running my
installations off a fat32 thumb drive with grub2.  Finally to make things
more complicated to install ubuntu, I also use LVM.

A few things I've learned,
1) kernel switch "iso-scan/filename=thumbdrivedir/quanta-desktop-i386.iso"
2) alternate iso does not support the above switch but there is a workaround
3) grub2 supports efi & gpt partitions

so if you want to install & boot from a thumb drive then you should be able
to.  say you have grub installed on your thumb drive.  try:

set root=(hd0,1)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0.6-generic ro root=/dev/sdb1
initrd /boot/initrd-3.5.0.6-generic