Re: (PPC) Latest Radeon Kernel Bug

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Arild Lindseth
<arild.lindseth@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Greg
>
> You managed to go through the install process fully and reboot? What kind
> of ppc do y.ou have? I  have an iBook G4, 1.42GHz CPU and 1.5GB RAM and
> cannot boot the live CD with any thing actually working properly. Any
> suggestions to how I can generate any usefull info to the iso developers?
>
> Regards from Arild

Hi Arild,

Yes I managed to go through the install process fully and reboot..
I have a PowerBook G4 laptop 1 Ghz and 1 GB Ram (both plenty for Lubuntu)

I always use USBs (too lazy or cheap to do CDs (probably too lazy))

I zsync my Lubuntu 12.10 testing isos daily nearly and that would include:
desktop-powerpc
alternate-powerpc
desktop-amd64
alternate-amd
desktop-i386
alternate-i386

I prepare all my USB isos on a PC where I save all my testing isos.

Now when I am going to test the powerpc isos.  I delete everything on
the USB then I use the dd command to write a byte for byte of the iso.
After getting to the directory Isos/ppc in terminal.

My commands looks like these:

sudo dd if=quantal-desktop-powerpc.iso of=/dev/sdb

or

sudo dd if=quantal-alternate-powerpc.iso of=/dev/sdb

Be very careful with the dd command and make sure you are writing to
the correct sdx

The tricky part is booting into OpenFirmware and getting the USB iso
started.  Here is a link that I used when I first started testing
powerpc isos (this guy has done lots of research on powerpc stuff)..
Adam (rsavage).

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#How_do_I_boot_from_a_USB_drive.3F

The command I use in the openfirmware typically is:

boot usb0/@1:2,\\yaboot

Some have issues with this but I usually don't if the iso is good I
can get to the live session.

Right now with 12.10, I am fighting with radeon graphic issues and the
kernel modesets.  Do you have Lubuntu 12.04 running?  It is very
stable for me on my PowerBook G4.

I am no PowerPC guru believe me.. I only picked up this G4 because a
Mac-Guy I know has more of them than he needs and gave me mine.  I saw
that Lubuntu qa only had one testers doing all the ppc and amd-64 MAC
testing and started trying to help him when I could. My main focus is
testing the Lubuntu amd64 and i386 images on PC laptops.. but they are
boring if you want more Bugs.. q:o)

Okay, this dissertation is over I am not even going to re-read it for errors..

Out,
Greg nm_geo