Re: lubuntu powerpc desktop wireless b43

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 14:26:40 +0200
Arild Lindseth <arild.lindseth@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have quantal ppc installed and running. I have downloaded the b43-fwcutter_015 package_ 14 powerpc.deb package to a USB stick, and installed. It doesn't work unfortunately, I suspect I need something more, or different but I cannot figure out what.

Yep, get the firmwares. If you install b43-fwcutter, assuming you have an Internet connection, what it does during the installation is download the proprietary device driver from OpenWRT, cuts out the firmware, and installs it.

So you need not only b43-fwcutter, you need the firmware.

This is pretty well documented on the Linux Wireless page [1] which also points to the Ubuntu wiki which contains supporting information.

Additionally, if you read carefully, you can find more general instructions [2] that tell you which version of the driver to get for which kernel.

I also mentioned all this earlier [3].

wxl

[1] http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Ubuntu.2FDebian
[2] http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Other_distributions_not_mentioned_above