Re: [PPC] need help to get 12.10 release!

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 15:38:59 -0600
Greg Faith <gregfaith@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do we have a method (kernel command line) or other that allows booting the
> PPC live CD/USB for the nvidia graphics?  Perhaps I have missed that one,
> because mine is ATI radeon and it is the only Apple I have.

If you look at my post on Ubuntu forums [1] you can see the progress with nVidia. There's more work to do. So far my success has been with an alternate install + an Xorg.conf with the following contents:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "nouveau"
	BusID       "PCI:0:16:0"
        Option     "NoAccel"	"True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth 24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
	EndSubSection
EndSection

I have not yet tried nouveau.noaccel=1 (this is the same as that Option "No Accel" "True" line) by itself with live to see if that would work, but my guess is that it would not. That's not the magic that made it work, it's what made it better, post-install. Maybe with nomodeset, but I'm guessing still no.

That's what I got so far. Maybe Johnathan could offer a helping hand, as he's got the same card.

wxl

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2066064