Re: apple sound

you should can pulseaudio (necessarily only if you need it and if you're not doing audio production, chances are, you don't) and try the hdmi suggestion on the faq [1] if you haven't already. hdmi audio is always a problem. and no i don't think this is related, but do appreciate the mention!

wxl

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ/Guides#Sound_not_Working_On_PC_with_HDMI