PPC: Multimedia support WebM & h.264 specifically

Voilà, a question to the multimedia users here:

Recently i read, mozilla would go to support/allow h.264 use in their
browsers. This would be quite nice, especially for all ppc users. And
the way they seem to do it is via support of plugins which has h.264
code capabilities. Up to here, i'm understanding correctly? If so,
*ANY* plugin supporting h.264 should word whether it's totem, vlan or
gecko .... (?) It would be great because, in my experience, with the
totem pluging i'm not really happy, neither on the ppc platform nor on
the intel/amd (and i always kept it out).

Now, i discovered this instruction to enlarge the systems codec
capabilities: https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/UbuntuCompilationGuide
and applied it to my amd machine, where it seems to do smart things
(and really more than i expexted). Now, my question, before i remove
all on the ppc: Would that instruction apply as well to the ppc? Or
are there relevant cons?

TIA for your patience

PS. I really do not understand the concern of mozilla regard building
in h.264 to their browsers (they say it would create a problem to
distribute them liberally) because as far as i understand the midori
browser has it and it is free software. Or am i missing here
something?