PPC - installed gnome alongside lubuntu, broke login

Not sure whether this is something I did but I don't think it is. I'm kind
of a long-term novice, new to testing, though.

I had lubuntu up and running on my iBook G4 just fine, and thought that I'd
try installing gnome along side it, because why not.

Anyways, it broke my login screen, so now I can only login via terminal. I
enter my password into the login box and it kind of resets? I don't know
how to describe it. It says it's logging in like it should, and then just
doesn't. It doesn't freeze up, though, I can try again, and it won't work
again.

I tried uninstalling it, reinstalling lubuntu-desktop to see if there was
anything missing.

Any thoughts? Packages to try installing to fix it? I'm just about to
reinstall lubuntu and try the whole thing again. If anyone else wants to
give it a go and let me know what happened, that'd be pretty awesome, too.

I reported the bug with "ubuntu-bug login" and it came up as "shadow"
instead.

Follow ups