Re: Getting past "Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed!" on PPC server

On 4/26/13 3:32 AM, Str8bs wrote:
> Good to know. Probably the same for your alternate installs. I guess that
> confirms it should be a kernel bug? Looking through 1066435 and 1071880
> there are a few issues possibly mixed together. It might be a good idea to
> file a new bug against server to clarify that? Looks like it also happened
> with netboot install.
>
> As best I can make out:
> 1. The only confirmed reports are those who also have Radeon video card.
> blacklisting snd-powermac works around the issue.
> That implies snd-powermac and Radeon/radeondrmfb are conflicting? I suppose
> getting rid of snd-powermac would be a quick dirty fix. I doubt it is
> getting anyone sound anyway and I would rather see people boot successfully
> with no sound. With nouveau, I don't get this failure, but it does complain
> about snd-powermac being deprecated. I also have to blacklist snd-powermac
> on a machine with Mach64 Rage for yet a different problem.
> 2. It does NOT happen with the live CD? Or is bug just avoided because the
> live CD is being booted with video=radeonfb:yada yada essentially disabling
> Radeon? Either that or the Desktop vs. other installers differ on handling
> of snd-powermac.

It (recurseive fault) does not happen with the Live CD.  Though the
video= trick is needed to boot.  I have a Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL
9000] from Hynix Semiconductor/Hyundai Electronics.

Before all this, I had not realize how heterogenous the mac hardware
really was.

Regards,
/Lars