Re: An upgrade bug

On 04/25/2013 09:20 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:
> Hi Erick,
>
> as you will see, this bug has been 'stood down' from a really
> important bug on release day. We are always very alert of such things
> when the releases go 'wild' to all the different computer systems.
>
> As long as we are aware of it. Release day always brings in 'zero-day'
> bugs, in this case; it has been checked and does not seem a major issue.
>
> As an aside, I did come across a request that I could not help with.
> It can occur if you shh into a desktop system and do a remote upgrade.
> That is some weird test case to check on! After the reboot, it tells
> you that you are running 13.04 and there is an upgrade available to
> 13.04.... Thankfully the answer is easy :)

I know almost nothing about working via ssh, sorry :^(

Regarding bug #1172964 I do want to follow up though, in fact I already
am. It's not a Raring bug, so it was in no way a failure on our part as
QA testers.

But I tried installing Quantal via live image, selecting to download
updates during installation on the "Preparing to install" screen, and
shortly after the installation was complete and booting into a fresh
Quantal I get the crash report Brian Murray is talking about in that bug
report.

There is no way we could have known that for two reasons:

#1: Using "update-manager -d -c" works differently than having the UI
launch on it's own once a stable release is actually released. I sort of
think when Ubuntu/Canonical actually had RC testing about one week prior
to final testing we may have been able to address such issues
............ but never depend on my memory!

#2: If the same problem existed in Precise we wouldn't have known it. I
also did a fresh install of Lubuntu Precise and notice that even though
we're not LTS the software settings is set to notify of a new version
only for LTS releases. Gosh, I installed 4 or 5 times and I failed to
think about even mentioning that :^(

I personally always tweak the settings to "never", but I also change the
standard update settings to notify and install only security updates
once I have the installed software working as I wish on production machines.

I guess that may seem like a bad habit, but I maintain about 40 machines
spread over two counties.

Anyway I'll continue to follow up on this over the next few days and let
you know what I find so we can correct things in 13.10.

Lance

PS: If this looks horrific please remember I'm trying a new email
client. I'm old and I learn slowly.