Re: [Lubuntu-comms] [10.04] - To Be or Not To Be - deep digging and testing

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/02/2013 12:53 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>
> > I'm now typing this email from Lubuntu 10.04:
>
> > Okay, we all know that Lubuntu 10.04 wasn't LTS.
>
> > Is this a secure system? is this an LTS system? what are the risks of
> > running this?
>
> Because you do not already have the security and system administration
> expertise and experience to KNOW the answers,

Thank you so much, Jonathan for replying, much appreciated it :)
If I know the answers for these questions, I would never wasted my
time nor anyone else time and sent it over here. I didn't and will not
claim that I have enough experience, therefore I have asked :)

Thanks again for taking the time to answer :)

> then for you, the answers
> to your three questions are:
>
>  (1) "NO, this is not a sufficiently secure system for you".

So, you are simply saying that despite the fact that the Core System,
which is LTS, is being updated and all, this is absolutely not enough
at all. And any package that is not going to be updated, it might
cause a security issue in the near future, right? does that apply even
for the packages that don't really use the internet?

>  (2) "NO, this is not a supported LTS release".

You are simply saying that Lubuntu 10.04 has already reached its EOL
and it is game over and NO ONE should use it at all, right?

If that so, why we are keeping it on the Wiki Area for the unsupported Hardware?
I have included the links on my previous email :)

>  (3) "The main risks are not getting updated software, and so getting
>      hacked or infected or otherwise running malicious code".

Then can you please explain to someone who is not an expert in
security and stuff and to everyone else who might be interested to
know ... HOW Firefox for example and Chromium, despite this is an
outdated version (Lubuntu 10.04) are on the latest USER versions (not
the devs versions)?

What about using a supported PPA for example for some important packages?

Is there anyway as a work around? or simply this is waste of the
user's time and he/she should never ever ever think to use Lubuntu
10.04 even though this is THE ONLY version for Lubuntu he/she CAN USE
on his/her OLD machine???!!!

> That's as simple a set of answers as I can give.
>
> Jonathan

I appreciate that a lot but can we please go deeper in this?

And my last questions is:
WHEN WE SAY this release is LTS release, does that mean each and every
single package no matter what it is or what it does, should be an LTS
and supported for 5 years for both desktop and server editions?

I checked the Wiki Page that suppose to explain about LTS releases but
rather than the chart, I didn't find anything interested or worthy to
look at. There is no CLEAR paragraph that at least explain LTS vs
NON-LTS release.

I know I'm a pain sometimes (if not all the time) but I WANT to
understand and EVERYONE else needs to understand that :) perhaps I'm
just brave enough to take the blame for not understanding this until
now ;) :P

Many thanks!
--
Best Regards,