Re: [Suggestion] Having another version for Lubuntu (Mini Lubuntu)

On 06/02/2013 10:24 PM, Lance wrote:

> Sorry for top posting this time but since those attachments failed
> when I tried to post earlier here are two links to the extra screens
> shown during Edubuntu installation:

> http://edubuntu.org/sites/default/files/docimages/install-precise/030-edubuntu-options-oneiric.png
> http://edubuntu.org/sites/default/files/docimages/install-precise/035-edubuntu-options-oneiric.png

> As I said we'd only need one additional screen rather than two, just
> so we could choose between a minimal (core) or full (desktop)
> install.

Interestingly, I just tried out installing (into a VM) from the Raring
mini.iso at

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

I found that the "Software selection" installer screen includes an
option "Lubuntu minimal installation"... so why are we not just
recommending that people who want a Minimal Lubuntu installation do it
that way?  Clean, simple, works on low RAM machines, and it already
exists :)

Is there a reason the wiki page Phill referred to does not document or
even mention this possibility?  Why are we documenting command line
approaches instead?

Jonathan