Re: Ubuntu Wiki - FromUSBStick

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013, at 11:21 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:

> On 2013-06-10 19:53, Jonathan Marsden wrote:

>> Wouldn't it be more useful to provide the temporary workaround of
>>
>>   sudo apt-get install python-gudev gir1.2-gudev-1.0 -y

> Your ppa makes a big improvement of usb-creator-gtk :-) It probably
> works more or less without issues to create standard live USB drives
> without persistence.

> But I think it is still flaky, particularly the 64-bit version.
> Remember that Julien got segfault, when he tested it. Also the 32-bit
> version can misbehave, unless the system and USB drive are well
> prepared.

OK... I'm just concerned that once we turn people off usb-creator-gtk,
it is hard to persuade them to come back it... so the bugfix work is not
even tried by all the folks we have told not to use usb-creator-gtk.

> I have not been able to file a bug about the segfault. It does not
> activate apport. How could I do it?

If you get a core dump file (make sure ulimit is not set to 0 for core
files), you can run something like

  apport-bug -f -p usb-creator-gtk

and then attach a GDB backtrace from the core to the bug report.  But in
general apport "should" catch segfault crashes, as far as I know.

> I have a question: did you do anything else than adding those
> libraries?

No, nothing else at all.

> And are your packages the same (version) as what would be installed in
> - an original 13.04 system without any updates?
> - a fully updated 13.04 system?

Yes.  As far as I know 0.2.47 is what should be installed in both cases.

> As I wrote in one of the mails, it feels like usb-creator-gtk has
> improved compared to when I started testing it with those two (same?)
> libraries in an installed system. Or am I only using it in a more
> consistent way to produce good persistent drives?

I think that's something about your system or the way you are using it.

> But if you think it reduces the chances to get usb-creator-gtk
> debugged, I will remove the 'temporary edit' about it from the wiki
> and from the tutorial.

I'm not an expert on publicity and writing good web sites :)  Maybe the
wiki page should suggest installing those two packages, and say
something like

  If you still have problems with usb-creator-gtk after installing these
  two additional packages, as a temporary workaround, you can try using
  usb-creator-kde instead.

In the end, if you make the changes to the wiki page, they need to say
what you are comfortable saying... so it is your choice.

Jonathan
--
  Jonathan Marsden
  jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx