Re: Linux Kernel and the Future of Lubuntu

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Phill Whiteside <PhillW@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The kernel on the release iso will never change (nor will ANYTHING else).
> Release ISO's are specifically frozen in time, for all time. This is why on
> LTS when a new iso is created it has a .1, .2, .3 and .4 suffix.
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill.
>
> On 13 June 2013 13:20, Ali Linx (amjjawad) <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I always prefer to think and plan ahead and I'm sure you all agree this
>> is a good idea. "Better safe than sorry" :)
>>
>> Having that said, I'm sure you all know that we are in 2013 and Linux
>> Kernel starting from series 3.xx and later, started to drop the support for
>> some hardware. Day after day, the dropping will increase, no doubt about it.
>>
>> DO NOT worry, I'm not trying to create any issue over here. In fact, I'm
>> trying to discuss this right here, right now because again, better safe
>> than sorry and better to think ahead better than wait until something
>> happens.
>>
>> 1- What will Lubuntu do (as a team - all of us) if after X
>> days/months/years, new releases of Lubuntu can no longer be installed on
>> the same hardware that version 13.04/13.10 will support?
>>
>> 2- Are we considering each and every option? did we see that coming? are
>> we ready?
>>
>> 3- Some may think this is too early to be discussed but IMHO, this is the
>> right time so can we discuss that professionally?
>>
>> And that is all for now :)
>>

>> http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020196/linux-3-8-will-drop-support-for-intel-386-chips.html
>>
>> And that won't be the one and only dropping, IMHO.
>> They are moving too fast, really fast!
>>
>> --
>>
>> "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>>
>> *Best Regards,*
>> *amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/>*
>> *Start Ubuntu<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu>
>> *
>>
>> *Test Machine: ASUS F3F Laptop - **Intel Core Duo T2350 @ 1.86GHz with
>> 489MB RAM*
>>
>>  --
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw

Hi Phill,

I'm afraid you did not understand my email correctly. This is not what I
was expecting :)

BACK to archive: "we keep Lubuntu 10.04 because the drop of hardware
support and some hardware will not work with other releases".

FUTURE: one day, some other hardware will NOT be supported.

That in short is what my first email is talking about.
Long story? my first email will tell you in details :)

Is that clear enough now?