Re: MIR (Ubuntu Display Server) - Should we be worried?

Am 17.06.2013 22:53, schrieb Karl Anliot:
> it's a fragmentation problem.  Linux apps will be supporting 1 of the
> following: X11, MIR or Wayland.  This question is probably better
> asked on the LXDE mailing list.
>
> Cheers,
> karl
It is not only a LXDE problem but more precisely a Lubuntu problem as
other linux distributions won't switch to MIR. But Canonical will
definitely switch to MIR and we as Lubuntu only have 3 options.
1) Do nothing -> Result: Everything should work fine at least the Mir
Devs promise that it should run everything just fine with the XMir
implementation (an X Wrapper to Mir)
2) Switch to Mir -> Not going to happen as no one besides canonicals
Unity devs want to support Mir
3) Switch to Wayland -> Result: A pain in the ass as Canonical won't
support Wayland and we have to rely on Debian or create a consortium of
Ubuntu derivates that is strong enough to maintain wayland. Anyhow 2
rivals on the display manager would cause problems, like not beeing able
to switch from a lubuntu (wayland based) desktop to a ubuntu (unity
based desktop) in one session or another user login.

So for the near future I see only option 1) applicable for now.
For the long run I don't see an future for Lubuntu on the Ubuntu base to
be very clear here. The 3) option is possible more easily with an Qt
switch for LXDE components but the missing support on essential things
like the display manager (wayland in that case) will be hard to
compensate. All in all Canonical is good known to change stuff like mesa
support in the last minute and break it for everyone else except the
Unity desktop. So I am dissappointed by Canonical and a bit frustrated
when I think about the long term future of Lubuntu