Re: My zRAM Testing Reports - FULL List

On 2013-06-23 21:17, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> I wrote:
>
>>> I wish we had better luck at 256MB on real hardware with the
>>> desktop image.  I'm not really sure why it works so well down even
>>> below 224MB on VirtualBox, but apparently not on real machines.
>
> On 06/23/2013 01:46 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>
>> Well, when carefully prepared, the desktop installer worked with my
>> old custom built computer with and AMD Athlon XP down to the same
>> levels as yours with VBox. Look carefully at my test results in the
>> table! But in real life, the situation is often messy, and more must
>> be squeezed into the memory ...
>
> OK... more tests on real hardware at 256MB needed, then, if we can.
>
>> Instead of abandoning the alternate installer, I would suggest to
>>
>> 1. incorporate it into the desktop installer, so that when you
>> select install at the menu, you will never start any graphics, ...
>>
>> 2. have one more line in the start menu:
>
> Either of those would be nice, but the underlying way the files on the
> CD are stored is different for LiveCD vs Alternate installer CDs.  So
> this is not practical without major rework of the alternate installer,
> which is IMO unrealistic.
>
>> 3. give more love to the mini.iso and make it possible to do within
>> the wizard, what must be fixed afterwards or by escaping to other
>> text screens in the current version.
>
> Agreed.  Although, to be fair, on a normal system booted from CD-R with
> a single drive, installing to the Entire Disk, it "just works", for me
> at least.  For me it is only when you have multiple writable disks (or
> USB sticks!) that it gets confused sometimes.

A mini iso with a high success rate is a good alternative (small to
download, so efficient unless you plan to install many times).

> In terms of how best to do Lubuntu installs in general: I tend to "just
> do it", and that means booting the Alternate installer from a CD-R as
> soon as I am sure there is nothing left on the hard drive (whether from
> Windows or some older install of Linux) that I need to keep.  Then, if
> that fails, I try mini.iso .  I've *never* done an install from the
> LiveCD "Try without installing" screen, except when deliberately testing
> that it works :)  To me that approach makes no sense, because to do I
> would select a "without installing" option and then install!
>
> However, I have a pretty high bandwidth Internet connection and plenty
> of CD-R media to burn, so it's no problem for me to download and burn a
> couple of CD-Rs whenever I want to.  Download time for a 700MB ISO here
> is about 15 minutes, half that or less if I am at work and no-one else
> is doing a big download at the same time :)  Not everyone has that kind
> of download bandwidth available, though.
>
> Jonathan

So to have a high success rate you recommend

1. Wipe the target drive before starting the installation.
2. Boot from CD
3. Try Lubuntu from the desktop iso
4. Install Lubuntu from the alternate iso or the mini iso.

And this is quite different from my present habits. Obviously I'm
spoiled with too much RAM :-/