Re: [Lubuntu-comms] installing Lubuntu in less than 100 seconds

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ali,
>
> But it is much *simpler* than today's installers. My installer is like a
> bicycle, and the other installers like aeroplanes with the cockpit full
> of fancy options, and some of them eat a lot of memory.

Eat a lot of memory? well, that was history :)
Above all, none of us know how much RAM those users have. We don't even
know how many are they. We are so far basing our actions on assuming this
and that. No solid and fixed data yet and I guess we will never have that
:) we failed to do a simple survey in the past :D I don't want to go to
that useless discussion anymore :D

So, IMHO,  I don't think there are many of those with less than 256MB of
RAM, unless they don't really update themselves with what is going on in
the world.

How Many Windows XP Users are having 256MB RAM or Less?

10%?
20%?
50%?

I have no idea.

I hope you see my point and what I'm trying to say here.

But it is not beautiful yet. If someone dresses it up with a simple
> graphical interface, it might be like YannBuntu's Boot-Repair script,
> but probably slightly simpler.

What is wrong with our current installer? :D
It is really simply and beautiful :D

> I think we need a simple and robust engine. Then there are many people
> who like to make nice graphical user interfaces, but rememeber that such
> things eat memory. Maybe a good solution might be to run it from a
> minimal text based installed system created from the mini iso. It could
> be an extremely simple installer (simpler than Windows self-installing
> exe files).

I think this will cost us time and extra work which unfortunately, no one
has :(

> But of course, somehow it must be put onto the live CD/DVD/USB drive,
> and that might be the hardest step for the newbie, unless there are
> prepared media.

Whatever will make it harder for our Devs and above all, for the users, I
would strongly suggest to drop it :)
Remember, KISS (Keep It Simple and Short).

> I remember the first time I made a boot CD from a Ghost diskette. I
> could hardly think it would work. And some years later, all the
> complicated steps to make a Bart PE CD and later on USB drive.

You need to remember what was your feeling on the very first time you have
seen Linux and tried to install it?
This most likely will be the same feeling of a Windows XP User who most
likely never heard nor seen Linux in his/her entire life.

Again, I do appreciate each and every thing you do but I'd like to share my
opinion and my opinion us:
I would suggest to improve the current installer IF AND ONLY IF it is
really hard as you may think instead of creating new one from scratch.

This is what I have learned from Linux.

We must not confuse them with multiple options. I'm very concern and
worried about our Wiki Area. It must be as simple as pie if we really
really want to have more users. Oh, in fact, as new comers, they might not
read :D I've seen some examples of some guys who need someone to come and
do the clicks for him while he sits back and watch :D we need to expect
that level of users if we really want to make a huge success.

End of my opinions and thoughts about this matter :)