Re: Hi, I'm the opensnap developer

On 27.06.2013 21:21, Julien Lavergne wrote:
> 2013/6/27 brenner <root@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Hi
>>
>> As stated in the subject I'm the opensnap
>> (https://github.com/lawl/opensnap) developer. It basically provides aero
>> snap functionality for openbox.
>> I saw you guys were recently discussing it and the fact that it's not in
>> the repositories.
>> I had a short talk with phillw today in IRC and he adviced me to drop a
>> mail on this list explaining who I am. So here's that.
>>
>> If you need any help with it, i'd be happy to.
>
> I was curious, so I tested it on my system, but I was enable to make
> it work. There is no documentation which describe the way to activate
> it (or I didn't see it). Also, I understood opensnap is a daemon
> running in the background, which intercept windows movements. As we
> are in the process to reduce daemon and other applications running all
> the time, I don't think we can integrate it by default.
>
> I suggest that you try to make a package or pushing it into a PPA, to
> make it more easy to test.
>
> Regards,
> Julien Lavergne

Yes documentation is a bit lacking. It's still kind of in a phase of
"wrote it for myself and pushed it on github". Minimal documentation is
in the README just after the build instructions:
> And now start opensnap by
> bin/opensnap -d
I agree this could be expanded. Yes opensnap runs as as a deamon and
polls for mouse movents.
Opensnap runs as a deamon by design, because it's not intented to only
work with openbox but at some point (read: never) with every EWMH
compilant window manager. And it actually already mostly does, cases
where it fails are usually unspecified behaviour on EWHM side. Openbox
is just what I happen to use, so it's the most tested/supported one.
So maintaining my own patches against openbox isn't really an option for
me/opensnap.

If you can't/don't want to integrate it, that's okay, i understand, you
have a fair point.

If there's interest I can build a .deb, however I'm not running a debian
based system anymore so I'd need to install a VM first.

Anyhow, thanks for your feedback.

Cheers