Re: Alpha 1 upgrade tests

On 2013-06-29 02:48, Jonathan Marsden wrote:

>> Is the upgrade testing a suitable candidate for automation, so the
>> "much testing" doesn't need "much human tester time" to accomplish?

On 06/29/2013 02:45 AM, Nio Wiklund replied:

> I guess the problem is not upgrading a completely standard version,
> but a version, that has been used by a real person, and there are
> some extra packages added, maybe also some PPAs. Or a version that
> was upgraded before. (My present production environment, now 12.04.2,
> started as 8.04.)

I suspect you would just need a script that installs the older version,
adds a PPA or two and some "extra" packages, and then shuts down the
test VM, and then boots from the new begin-tested ISO to do the upgrade,
progresses through the upgrade, reboots the VM, and runs a couple of
really basic "is it working now" tests.

Checking whether you can upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 to 12.04 to 14.04...
is probably far more than the current (manual!) test suite attempts, and
so is out of scope for an initial version of automated upgrade tests, I
would think.

Basically I am someone who does not like repeating the same thing over
and over again... I'd rather spend the time automating the process
instead.  So it occurred to me from Lance's description that this might
well be a good test case (or set of test cases) to try to automate.

I'll be interested to see whether the idea is picked up and actually
implemented :)

Jonathan