Re: Lxsession new options enabled by default approaching in Saucy

On 07/04/2013 01:25 PM, Julien Lavergne wrote:
> 2013/7/2 Erick Brunzell <lbsolost@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> I notice that clicking on Logout now does nothing so the fun is
>> beginning :^)
> Ouch ! I was sure I fixed this one :-/ I'm downloading the daily, I'll
> do the tests.

Sorry to take so long getting back to you about this. There were some
recent comments at this old bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxsession/+bug/1190170

Now, I know that bug was fixed. In it's original iteration the logout
menu appeared alright but clicking on Shutdown or Reboot failed to work.

What I was talking about here was that clicking on Logout in the main
menu, or clicking on the Logout button to the far right side of the
panel, failed to even display the shutdown menu. And I still have an
Alpha 1 install that's broken in that regard. I have not figured out how
to fix that, but I personally don't care .............. I mean if I
don't blow up an install occasionally I get disappointed.

And I see from comparing the 'lxsession' changelog and my var/log/apt
history that I probably upgraded 'lxsession' while it was still in
Saucy-proposed-updates resulting in that breakage.

So, after reading those recent comments at the old bug report I decided
to see if I could reproduce the "new" issue and I couldn't.

I first tried a fresh install of Lubuntu Saucy i386-20130708, and I
can't break it :^)

I next tried a fresh install of Lubuntu Saucy Alpha 1 and once again I
can't break it :^)

Finally, in the wee hours of this morning, I noticed that Arthur at that
old bug report mentioned that he was working with an upgrade, so I did a
fresh install of Lubuntu Raring and then upgraded using the command
"update-manager -d". Still I couldn't break it :^)

Note: That's not a typo. AFAIK "update-manager -d" should take a user to
Saucy Alpha 1, whereas "update-manager -d -c" would take a user to the
Saucy daily or weekly upgrade build.

So I'm not at all concerned about this, but I can save that broken
install if you want to fiddle around with it out of boredom or something
;^)

Please let me know before July 19th because I need to free up some space
before Alpha 2 testing begins, but in summation:

(1) I could NOT reproduce this NEW bug using the 20130708 daily image,
the Alpha 1 image, or upgrading from Raring to Saucy.

(2) I likely caused the breakage I originally spoke about here by
applying proposed-updates and those of us who test early have to accept
the fact that our own actions may totally bork a test installation at
any given moment.

>> Is there any possibility that we can get appropriate restart
>> notifications working in this dev cycle?
>>
>> I mean if a kernel upgrade is considered a security update (some are and
>> some are not) then we should be told to reboot after the update :^)
> You mean you don't have a message to reboot when you do an upgrade ? I
> think it's only the case when you use upgrade-manager (not synaptic).

You're right there. I just wasn't paying attention. I suppose it would
be nice to have a restart notification appear in the panel regardless of
the update method used, but it's not important enough to raise a
wish-list bug or anything.

Thanks for your kind attention,

Lance

PS: For being pre-alpha2 I think things look great! I'm very impressed
with the overall speed improvements related to the live image
............ much more responsive!