Re: Video Problems - Saucy

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM, Federico Leoni <effelle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2013/7/15 Ali Linx (amjjawad) <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > Update:
> >

> > Media (Local File /home/Videos) :
> > http://i42.tinypic.com/znmy3s.jpg
> >

> > VLC (VERY bad quality - tearing and sluggish):
> > http://i40.tinypic.com/m7aq7n.jpg
> > http://i44.tinypic.com/5x64u9.jpg
> > http://i39.tinypic.com/2dt69nk.jpg
> >

> > GNOME Player (Picture Quality is fine but there is 2mins gab/delay
> between
> > the sound and the picture - Synch problem and sluggish as well) :
> > http://i43.tinypic.com/2dvip2s.jpg
> > http://i41.tinypic.com/zwi7i0.jpg
> > http://i40.tinypic.com/33omt93.jpg

> > TO-DO:
> > I think I will install different systems on that machine (I have 80GB HDD
> > empty) and check it out. If the same issue with other systems, it means
> this
> > is the limit of my machine. If other systems will play better quality,
> then
> > there must be something wrong.
>
> Ali,

Hi Federico,

> you can watch movie on this computer trust me

I do trust you :)

> but you need to do some adjustment and choose the right videos...

When it comes to watching videos (movies or anything else), I turn to be
Mr. Lazy who just wants to sit back, watch and enjoy, no more, no less. I
put all my skills and experience away, and just think about one simple fact
= enjoy. That is why, these 'some adjustment' that you are talking about is
something extra that I need to do. Hmm, let's see :)

> I don't understand why you want play a FULLHD video on a HD screen.

I do not want to do anything except watch and enjoy - as explained above :)
That is the TV I have. That's the PC I have that is connected to my TV. It
happens that my TV has HD feature and my PC is not yet fully capable of
that. I'm not doing anything purposely here.

> Your PC has enough power to play HD video and your 32" is 1360x768, a
> little more than the standard HD resolution of 1280x720, but has not
> horsepower for 1920x1080 video.

You are right. My TV is 1360x768 as far as I know.

I have no idea what is the standard HD resolution whatsoever because I just
want to enjoy, I don't care about the technical side of watching videos :D
However, I don't mind to know.

You mean my PC has no power to run 1920x1080 video? the same resolution of
The Avengers that I was trying to watch yesterday?

> Anyway I have had problems too with VLC, even with the Nvidia card it
> doesn't handle well h264 videos, and I never use GnomePlayer to see HD
> videos.

ASUS F3F with Intel Core Due @ 1.86GHz and 512MB RAM can handle that, as
far as I remember. I don't use that machine anymore and not willing to at
the moment. I have watched many videos with VLC and GNOME Player, I don't
recall the same issue.

> I always used xbmc with just a few issues with the integrated video
> but nothing excessive, no one with the Nvidia. As already told you
> give it a try, is in the repos (apt-get install xbmc).

Okay, will do and let you know :)

> The unique differences with my computer and yours is I have 2gb ram, but
> seems
> you never passed the limits and you are using just a little swap.

Indeed. I am not using my whole RAM yet and don't forget, zRAM is also
enabled by default and SWAP is big enough already :)

Obviously could be an issue with the Saucy alpha (or daily build) you
> are using too...

Looks like that too.
I have no other system on the same machine yet. I don't have time these
days to do new installations but I want that.

> Test with a 720p video, if the result with xbmc doesn't change I'll
> remove my Nvidia card and I'll do some test with 13.04 here as soon as
> I can. Let me know.
>
> F.

720p is less resolution of the one I tried to watch yesterday, correct? not
sure if I have that downloaded, I need to check.
Ok, I checked and I have around 21 movies that I downloaded the other day
and from the name of the file, it says 720p and others say 1080p so I will
try to move some to the PC connected to my TV and play, let's see if that
will make any difference.

Thanks!

--

"All of us are smarter than any one of us."

*Best Regards,*
*amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/>*
*Start Ubuntu<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu>
*