Re: [Feedback Needed] zram-config

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Joern <joern.schoenyan@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I am not sure about machines with 4+ GB RAM. If that much memory is full,
> then the cpu core(s) is/are busy for sure: maybe transcoding a video or a
> game where the AI needs to be computed and the cpu should call as much
> frame as possible. In such situations where the cpu is busy it shouldn't
> need to compress zram. A dynamical created swap file COULD make more sense.
> Very depending on the users needs.

As far as I have learned so far, zRAM, if enabled, have the Priority to be
used before a swap partition/file will be used, and that was the whole
point that some smart and helpful guy created zRAM :D As all of you know,
RAM is faster than HDD.

As for 4GB RAM? I'm asking because for 3 years or maybe more, I have failed
BIG TIME to fully use 2GB RAM :D
I do have another PC which is P4 with 2GB RAM. I just managed to fully use
my 512MB RAM :D heheh
That is why I'm wondering what could happen if someone has 4GB RAM? unless
he is a heavy user, perhaps zRAM will start working. Otherwise, that user
won't need to use zRAM nor SWAP at all :D as long as his RAM is not full
yet.

Whe can be glad that Linux is so flexible - ask a Windows user about that
> hehehe!
>
> Jörn

HAHAH, indeed :D

By the way, since day 1 with Ubuntu, I have learned that SWAP Partition is
a must have - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

I don't ever install without SWAP no matter how big my RAM is. I'm typing
this from Core i5 with 4GB RAM and I have failed to use all my RAM and my
SWAP is always empty but I do have a swap :D

--
*Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
*Best Regards,