Re: [PPC] Software Update Fail on installed 13.10 system

On 2013-08-01 01:49, keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been keeping a 13.10 installation updated on my Powermac G4 since
> about July 24.
>
> Today, when I ran Software Update, everything went normally until a
> required reboot at the end of the update. The system failed to boot, and
> I get the following errors (on a  black screen):
>
>     [4.058892]  kernel panic - not syncing: UFS:  unable to mount root
> FS on unknown -block (0,0)
>
>     [4.059868]  rebooting in 180 seconds
>
> After the 180 seconds, the computer tries to reboot, but the same thing
> happens in a seemingly  endless loop.
>
> I can't get to a console, and am forced to do a hard shutdown by holding
> in the power button on the computer.
>
> Keith

Can you use

SysRq  R E I S U B

to make the reboot softer with your Power PC?

Often but not always, SysRq is on the PrintScreen key (with the alt
key), so it is often described as

alt+SysRq  R E I S U B

See this link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Quote {
1. Hold down the Alt and SysRq (Print Screen) keys.
2. While holding those down, type the following keys in order, several
seconds apart: REISUB
3. Computer should reboot.
}

Just my two cents