Re: Lubuntu 13.10 beta

On 2013-09-19 14:10, Lars Noodén wrote:
> On 09/18/2013 11:09 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:
>> An update,
>>
>> the kernel boots okay and when stressed with swap does not crash. The next
>> step will be to make an ISO with it in and see if it does, indeed, squish
>> the bug. The kernel team are on the case and we will be asked to help test
>> an ISO at some point in the (hopefully near) future.
>>
>> Thanks everyone for the input and testing on this. Weird crashes leaving no
>> trace are the hardest to track down.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Phill.
>
> I tried that kernel today:
>
> 	Linux lubuntu 3.11.0-7-generic #14~lp1227202v1 SMP
> 	Wed Sep 18 16:02:47 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Unfortunately the system still managed to freeze up when I launched an
> app a few minutes ago.  Plugging and unplugging USB devices has not had
> an effect.  I think you might be the only one to be able to do it on
> demand with that Zynga thing.
>
> I will be trying Leszek Lesner's suggestion with zram for the rest of
> the day:
>
> 	sudo swapoff /dev/zram0
> 	sudo swapoff /dev/zram1
> 	sudo rmmod zram
>
> But it will probably take until tomorrow to be sure, unless it freezes
> first.
>
> Regards,
> /Lars

Hi Lars,

I have tested the kernel

'Linux lubuntu 3.11.0-7-generic #14~lp1227202v1 SMP'

last night and this morning. I tested it as an installed system running
in my Toshiba giving it only 384 MB RAM. I alternated between this
kernel and the default one. I made it swap, for example running some
youtube video. Then if I installed something with apt-get, I often had
freezes with the default kernel but never with the #14~lp1227202v1 kernel.

You result contradicts my result, and it is stronger, because I cannot
guarantee, that there will be no freeze in the future.

I noticed a significant improvement with the bug-fix in the
#14~lp1227202v1 kernel, but maybe there is also some other problem
causing the computer to freeze. This problem might or might not be
related to zRAM, and that can be explored testing when the zRAM is
switched off.