Re: Fwd: final Lubuntu i386 desktop live

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 10:47:21 +0200
Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Results after installation at the end]

Hi,

I would have liked to read from your tests if the machine slows down by swapping too early
while some memory is still available or if it uses most of the physical RAM before doing
so. You could see it by having htop running in a console and keep on eye on proc and ram
use at the top of the console while starting and using applications.

I have done tests with ZRAM, in an iso I am doing (a personal remix done with
ubuntu-builder) and have not finished yet. It consists in once having the configuration
default provided by the zram-config package, then in another ISO switch to the
configuration I have described before.

I still have one test to do which could make a difference.

Linux kernels have been known to swap to disk too early since many years, and the
following configuration is a mean to limit the too early swappiness.

So the test I want to do at last will consist in using the default zram-config
configuration and add just this:

**********
vm.swappiness=0
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

# Uncomment the next line if we are running a laptop
# vm.laptop_mode = 1

**********

as a file such as 50-local.conf in /etc/sysctl.d.

I wanted to try in Lubuntu but ubuntu-builder has not been able to redo a bootable ISO
from from the build directory after I added the file in the Lubuntu filesystem and
generated a new ISO.

If you have some means of testing this setup in your machine it could be interesting. (As
live I fancy it could be done with an install to USB with USB Creator and then having a
persistant mode, add the file, and reboot to the persistant mode once more to test the
setup, in your install you could just add the setup and see while using and with htop if
that makes a difference after some time using Firefox or else?)

What I don't know yet either is if having zram module loaded and at work increases the
linux kernel swappiness tendency or if it is totally unrelated : I had never wondered
about it so far.

Regards,
Mélodie