Re: Fwd: final Lubuntu i386 desktop live

Hi Mélodie,
I'll reply inline

On 2013-10-11 13:23, JM wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 10:47:21 +0200
> Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> [Results after installation at the end]

I *was* watching the memory usage and process activity with htop :-)

It was swapping before the memory was fully used (Lubuntu is always
doing that, with or without zRAM). I have not changed the swappiness
from the default value.

> I have done tests with ZRAM, in an iso I am doing (a personal remix done with
> ubuntu-builder) and have not finished yet. It consists in once having the configuration
> default provided by the zram-config package, then in another ISO switch to the
> configuration I have described before.
>
> I still have one test to do which could make a difference.
>
> Linux kernels have been known to swap to disk too early since many years, and the
> following configuration is a mean to limit the too early swappiness.

I think some (or many) people want it that way, to have a margin, when a
large chunk of RAM is needed, and I have followed discussion threads
about swappiness. Some people claim there should be different settings
for servers compared to desktops & laptops (more swappiness for
servers). I have not tested with different swappiness, so I have no own
experience.

> So the test I want to do at last will consist in using the default zram-config
> configuration and add just this:
>

> **********
> vm.swappiness=0
> vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50
>
> # Uncomment the next line if we are running a laptop
> # vm.laptop_mode = 1
>
> **********
>
> as a file such as 50-local.conf in /etc/sysctl.d.
>
> I wanted to try in Lubuntu but ubuntu-builder has not been able to redo a bootable ISO
> from from the build directory after I added the file in the Lubuntu filesystem and
> generated a new ISO.

I can try it in an installed system. It is easier and also more
interesting for me :-P

-o-

I think the ramdisk makes it harder for the memory management in the
live system, which could explain why it choked earlier than the
installed system with 256 MB RAM.