Re: One Button Installer improved with dialog menus and xz compression

On 2013-10-28 17:44, Federico Leoni wrote:
> 2013/10/28 Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Hi Federico,
>>
>> I'm glad that your system is portable via the tarball :-)
>>
>> OK, I was conservative, and kept the simple, fast and less memory-greedy
>> gzip compression, but I listen to your advice, so I will prepare to make
>> xz compression standard in the next version. I guess you know that xz is
>> slower expanding (maybe 25%) and much slower compressing (it needs more
>> than the double time), and you still want to because small size is
>> highest priority?
>>
>> And thanks for the observation about the "Attempt to read or write
>> outside of disk hd0" and PATA.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
>>

> Well Nio,
>
> a small size on the usb drive it's better I think. but If you prefer
> fast compression (and thinking about it should be the better choice
> for old computers) at least you could add an advanced option to choose
> the type of compression and the name of the tarball.
>
> Let me know.
>
> F.

It is possible already, when you exit to the bash shell, so maybe it is
not urgent. I agree there should be choices in a dialog screen
(compression method as well as the name of the target file.) I think
also choice of source partition should be possible at that dialog screen.

I think the most urgent improvement is to make a Lubuntu 13.10 OEM
tarball. Would you agree or where do you think I should start?