Re: Lubuntu fake-PAE installed system image file for Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

On 2013-11-06 02:11, JM wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 19:08:28 +0100
> Kadrija Hrlovic <kalehrl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much Nio.
>> I've just read OBI documentation and discovered to my horror that it cannot
>> be used for dualboot system which is what I had in mind :(
>> I don't want to get rid of Windows XP on my laptop.
>> Is there any way of installing the latest Lubuntu without starting from
>> non-pae mini.iso 12.04?
>
> Hi,
>
> As far as I remember wasn't 12.04 Lubuntu having a generic kernel? Or is it a mini.iso
> 13.10 which is missing?
>
> (I may have suggests for an alternative solution, depending on your answer and on what
> other machine/ubuntu system you may have).
>
> Regards,
> Mélodie

Lubuntu and Xubuntu 12.04 have non-PAE kernels. Lubuntu has passed end
of life, while Xubuntu has long time support until April 2015.

It is possible to start from a 12.04 non-PAE mini.iso, but if you
install the Lubuntu desktop, there will be no support. Then it is better
to use a new mini.iso and fake-PAE, or use another desktop based on
12.04, that has long time support (LXLE, Bodhi or Precise Gnome Classic
Tweaks).

I used the 13.10 mini.iso and fake-PAE for the Lubuntu Core tarball.