Re: Fwd: Success: PPC 14.04 with the desktop freeze/radeon driver

On 11/01/2014 11:58 AM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
I eagerly ran those commands, and stuff happened . . . but on reboot the same error message showed up, checked add'l drivers--no drivers available. Maybe the G4 iBook isn't "b43-legacy"?? Same commands but without "legacy"?? I know that traditionally wifi has been one of the "snafu's" . . . it's not "mission critical" right now, but, benefit of a laptop is--it can move . . . .

Fritz:

I don't know what hardware your machine has, and what will solve the problem. What you described reminded me of other things I have encountered, so I suggested something to look at.

According to the information displayed by Synaptic Package Manager (probably coming from the packages themselves):

firmware-b43legacy-installer

This package downloads and installs the firmware needed by the b43legacy
kernel driver for some Broadcom 43xx wireless network cards.

Supported chipsets:
 * BCM4301;
 * BCM4306/2;
 * BCM4306.

firmware-b43-installer

This package downloads and installs the firmware needed by the b43
kernel driver for some Broadcom 43xx wireless network cards.

Supported chipsets:
 * BCM4306/3;
 * BCM4311;
 * BCM4318;
 * BCM4321;
 * BCM4322 (only 14e4:432b);
 * BCM4312 (with Low-Power a.k.a. LP-PHY).

If your hardware is not one of the above, either package will be of no help.

Wireless access is something I struggle with in Linux. To deal with it, I have a number of wireless dongles that plug into a USB port, that work out-of-the-box.

I can plug one of those wireless dongles into the machine until I get the wireless the machine has working.

Internet searches have provided useful information on how to get the wireless to work. But I have not always succeeded in getting it working, and in some cases, what you have to do to get it working is not (to me) worth the work (and the risk to the system).

--
Sincerely,
Aere