Re: Vivid desktop amd64 does not boot on MacBook Pro

On 02.02.2015 17:18, Walter Lapchynski wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 6:38 AM, Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1415848
>> How can I get logs or relevant installation data if the installation
>> won't complete even to where I can get a console?
>
> Well, you kind of can't. At the same time, without more info, it's
> hard to do anything with the bug.
>
> I would either search for someone else with the hardware that can
> confirm the bug or I'd consider it a lost cause.

Is there some parameter I can pass to the kernel via grub to do
something useful?  When I edit the boot parameters to take out "splash"
and "quiet" I get a little more information and see that it stops right
after these lines:

 [    7.57234] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
 [    7.575302] fb: switching to radeondrmfb from EFI VGA

So that would help identify which package it should be instead of "linux"?

> The stupid questions that immediately come to mind:
> 1. Are the hashes all good?

Yes, insofar as MD5 sums can be good these days.

> 2. Have you tried different installation media?

DVD RW with the same images and same machine work.  However, later
models of the hardware do not have DVD so USB is a necessity.

> 3. Besides running the live system, can you install? Does it boot fine?

Neither Live nor the Desktop install work from the Desktop image.
The Alternate image gets a different error.

> 4. What other images do work?

Using the DVD RW, all work.  Using the USB stick, none seem to work so
far for AMD64.

Regards,
/Lars