Re: Alternate testcase changes

Den 2015-02-26 10:06, Nio Wiklund skrev:
> [posting at the end]
>
> Den 2015-02-26 08:45, Nio Wiklund skrev:
>> [posting at the end]

>>> Hi Walter and all Lubuntu users,
>>>
>>> @ Walter: I suggest that we have at least one testcase with LVM,
>>> encrypted disk and encrypted home. If we cannot keep the one that exists
>>> now for the alternate iso, I suggest that we make one for the desktop iso.
>>>
>>> @ all other Lubuntu users: Please tell Walter what *you* think!
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Nio
>>>

>> Hi again Walter,
>>
>> I tested the Lubuntu Vivid beta 1 *alternate* ISO file for the testcase
>> with LVM encrypted disk and encrypted home. I have tested it with
>> several previous versions, so I know it by heart, and can run it even
>> when you have removed it from the iso tracker.
>>
>> The computer is an hp Probook 6450b laptop with Intel i5 cpu:
>>
>> http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02218879
>>
>> There is a minor bug, that it wants to install the bootloader into the
>> live drive. When selecting /dev/sda manually for the bootloader, it
>> works :-)
>>
>> The installed encrypted Lubuntu system runs beautifully in my computer
>> now, except that it failed to swapon (but this computer with 4 GB RAM
>> can manage pretty well without swap).
>>
>> /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-swap_1 exists, but when I try to swapon it
>> directly, it complains: read swap header failed.
>>
>> sudo swapon -a
>>
>> complained that /dev/mapper/cryptswap1 does not exist.
>>
>> So this is another bug, maybe not easy to squash.
>>
>> I'll check, if the corresponding thing works with the Lubuntu Vivid beta
>> 1 *desktop* ISO file
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
>>

> Hi again Walter and all Lubuntu users,
>
> I tested the Lubuntu Vivid beta 1 *desktop* ISO file corresponding to
> the testcase with LVM encrypted disk and encrypted home. It is also
> reported in the qa-tracker.
>
> The computer is an hp Probook 6450b laptop with Intel i5 cpu:
>
> http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02218879
>
> Trying to use the whole drive with encrypted LVM and encrypted home, It
> complained about existing swap (which is zram), so I had to turn it off with
>
> sudo swapoff -a
>
> and restart Ubiquity. It complained that partman failed:
>
> ubi-partman failed with exit code 141. Further information may be found
> in /var/log/syslog. Do you want to try ...
>
> The installled system worked, but I had the same error as with the
> alternate iso file: there is no swap.
>
> I wiped the drive (wrote zeros to the first megabyte using mkusb (dd))
> and made an MSDOS partition table using gparted.
>
> Then I tried again with Ubiquity, and succeeded: The installed system
> works, and there is swap. See the attached file :-)
>
> -o-
>
> This method might work also in the alternate iso (if you also swap off,
> [...]

Well, yes, almost like that. The *alternate* iso does not use zram, so
it was enough to wipe [the first megabyte of] the internal drive and
create a new partition table. I did that before booting into the
alternate iso file, but it could be added into the alternate installer.

Then select No (when asked to install grub, the bootloader) and enter
/dev/sda manually ... and success :-)

I have a good Lubuntu installed system with swap and everything works
(except maybe the Lubuntu Software Center, which I have never used).

*Summary*

This Lubuntu Vivid 32-bit alternate iso file is in rather good shape.
With a little bit of help it can install a good encrypted LVM and
encrypted home system. It should be possible to make the installer wipe
the first megabyte or the whole drive (a user choice), and then create
an MSDOS partition table before starting the advanced partitioning.