Re: Node states

On 3 February 2012 15:25, Francis J. Lacoste <francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12-02-03 09:54 AM, Matthew Revell wrote:

>>  * Declared: MaaS is aware of the node and has assigned it a system
>> ID, but has done nothing else to it. A declared node can return to
>> this state.
>
> I don't understand what 'A declared node can return to this state' means?

Once you've finished with a node, and want it to return a state that'd
ready for redeployment, I see it returning to "Declared" rather than
needing a special "Undeployed" state.

>>  * Testing: Smoke or burn-in tests are in process.
>
> Shouldn't we call this 'Commissioning', since all of this is part of the
> Commissioning process?

Sure, that's a better choice of word.

>>  * Bad: for a reason not covered by the sub-states, the node cannot be used.
>>   - Bad -- testing: smoke or burn-in testing has a found a problem.
>>   - Bad -- MIA:  the MaaS can't contact the node.
>>  * Ready: Testing has been done and the node is in the general pool
>> ready to be deployed.
>>  * Reserved: Testing has been done and the node is ready for named deployment.
>>  * Allocated: A node has been allocated to a specific user for their
>> exclusive use.
>>  * Deployed: The node has been deployed with either a fresh Ubuntu
>> install or a Juju charm.
>
> I think 'Allocated' is more commonly use for what we refer to as
> 'Deployed'. That would be worth user testing.

Okay, I'll ask Dan to work that into his mock-up tests.

> Note also that it's not
> the node that is deployed, but a workload that is 'deployed to' the node.

I see the distinction but hadn't thought it could cause confusion.
Anyway, if "Allocated" is the standard term then we should stick with
that.

>>  * Retired: The node has been removed from service until the MaaS
>> owner overrides the retirement.
>>
>> The "Allocated" state is one we've discussed but is out of scope for 12.04.
>>

> I think this state kind of overlaps with 'Deployed' and 'Reserved'.
> Another reason for dropping that state now, and use 'Allocated' for what
> you use 'Deployed' now. Let's revisit this later when this use-case
> becomes clearer.

Sounds good.

--
Matthew Revell